wow, it's actually good...

 Well ladies and gentlemen, I finally did it. I finally sold out my traditional reading values in exchange for popularity points. I conformed to the masses, I gave in to the peer pressure, and I allowed my curiosity to get the best of me. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am currently reading Th1rteen R3asons Why, written by Jay Asher.
As I've said in my last blog, I would love to start talking about this book immediately, but unfortunately I have to talk briefly about my goals. Well, I've read a lot over the past few weeks. I read everything from The Epic of Gilgamesh to the Treaty of Versailles. In other words, I skimmed through my Barron's AP World History Study Guide. Honestly, I haven't picked up a conventional book in weeks. So Ms.Mayo, if you're reading this, I just want you to know that I'm sorry. I'm sure your disappointment doesn't compare to my incompetence.
     Well, silly jokes aside, let's get talking about the book in question: Th1rteen R3asons Why. My first reaction upon reading this book was something along the lines of "hey, this is super unrealistic". Then the more that I thought about the situations portrayed in this novel, I realized that it wasn't right for me to contradict them. After all, I'm not a teenage girl, so I've never faced the struggles depicted in this novel. And while I do still think the "tape thing" is unrealistic, the situations embedded within are not. Bullying, slut shaming, and suicide are big problems in high school, even though they aren't always seen. There was a quote from Hannah Baker that really stuck out to me. "The point is, when you hold people up for ridicule, you have to take responsibility when other people act on it (53). Hannah is referring to a boy named Alex who essentially objectified her body in front of the entire school. An effect of Alex's "joke" was Hannah getting sexually harassed by another student. This whole incident was one of the causes for her death. Hannah states that people should be responsible for the adverse effects of their actions. Alex's seemingly harmless joke led to Hannah's harassment, as well as her suicide. The question is if Alex should feel responsible for Hannah's suicide. While Alex should definitely feel remorse for his wrong doing, he shouldn't feel responsible for Hannah's death. After all, Alex never encouraged her to commit suicide, he was just being a moron. If this story was based on true events, then Hannah would be the person in the wrong. Forcing people to feel awful about themselves for something that they didn't have direct control of is one the most cynical and petty things a person do. But because this is a work of fiction, Hannah's "petty" actions serve to educate the teen readers of America. The readers of Th1rteen R3asons Why will realize that all actions have consequences whether they're expected or unexpected. Hopefully, this book will cause high schoolers to realize that suicide is more common than they think. Maybe, just maybe, Th1rteen R3asons Why will cause high school students to empathize with the struggle of others and stop bullying around campus.

Comments

  1. Of course I'm reading! Nice to see you taking the chance on something different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your use of vocabulary and your fun style of writing! You sounded like you enjoyed making this blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you treat this book very seriously because it has controversial topics and you discuss them with sophistication.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Catcher in the Rye: a Filthy Book for Normal People, a Normal Book for Filthy People

*insert a creative title here*